Asthma is a respiratory disease, often of allergic origin. It is a chronic inflammation of the bronchi which, narrowing, prevent the air from passing. If asthma can be disabling, it does not prevent – on the contrary – the practice of a sport. As long as you control your asthma and know what to do in case of a crisis, almost all sports are allowed. As proof, these asthmatic sportsmen who, thanks to the treatments and a specific training, win prestigious competitions. Another best way to treat this disease is dulera inhaler. Dulera cost is low at Prescription Hope where you can buy it cheaply.
What are the benefits of sport for people with asthma?
In case of asthma, physical activity increases breathing capacity, decreases shortness of breath and intensity of seizures. Sport improves the control of asthma, but also the physical form and the level of tolerance to the effort. Finally, physical activity contributes to psychological well-being, with increased self-confidence and self-esteem.
What sports do you have when you have asthma?
Each sport has its own particularities and some are more beneficial than others in case of asthma.
Endurance sports are recommended for asthmatics
Endurance sports develop lung capacity and help reduce breathlessness. They are particularly suitable for people with asthma: hiking, biking, jogging, cross-country skiing, tennis, dancing, etc. It’s up to you to find your preferences, and stick to your rhythm.
Sports to consume with moderation in case of asthma
Intense team sports (rugby, basketball, hockey, etc.), which require sudden effort, can provoke asthma attacks. Riding is also a sensitive activity, because of the risks of allergies to animal hair and straw. Also beware of judo and karate: the tatami dust is not the friend of asthmatics.
Nevertheless, with a balanced treatment, the agreement of his doctor and respecting the precautions (see below), it is often possible for people with asthma to practice these sports. Ask your doctor for advice.
Diving, the only sport formally contraindicated to asthmatics
The only sport to really proscribe in case of asthma is scuba diving with a bottle. In addition to the many allergens contained in compressed air, the impossibility of going to the surface in the event of a crisis is a mortal danger.
Swimming Pools Swimming, which is an endurance sport, is an excellent practice. Indeed, subjected to the humidity of the air, the bronchi retract less and the risk of asthma attack decreases. However, it is recommended to choose a pool disinfected without chlorine, as chloramines, irritating substances, aggravate asthma. If your pool is chlorinated, shower before and after swimming, lather and wear a cap.
Mountain sports, rather beneficial in case of asthma
The altitude is beneficial for many asthmatics who can practice all winter sports: downhill skiing, cross-country skiing, surfing, snowshoeing, skating, sledding, etc. Indeed, at altitude, allergens are less present in the atmosphere. Nevertheless, it is recommended to stay below 2000 m, the altitude from which oxygen becomes scarce. Beyond this, cold, dry air can cause asthma attacks that will be aggravated by lack of oxygen.
The precautions to be taken by athletes with asthma
In general, and especially when they play sports, people with asthma need to pay more attention than others.
- Keep your emergency treatment at hand and do not hesitate to take it at the first sign.
- Take your prescribed protective medication before exercise.
- Measure your breath before and after the effort (peak flow meter).
- Renounce (or wait a little) if you do not feel well on the respiratory level.
- Modulate your effort, listen to yourself and do not go beyond your limits.
- Take the time to warm up and start the effort gradually.
- Do not stop suddenly.
- Breathe through the nose to warm the air inspired.
- Drink before, during and after exercise.
- Adapt your outfit to the temperature: do not go cold.
- Take into account the weather conditions.
- And if the weather is too windy, too dry or too cold, give up.
In general, try to avoid:
- The wind,
- cold, dry air
- Gymnasiums and dusty locker rooms.
- High altitudes (from 2000 m).
What is the stress asthma attack?
The so-called “stress” asthma attack typically occurs 5 to 10 minutes after the start of an endurance sport such as running or a few minutes after stopping a sustained or violent physical effort. In that case :
- Stop the effort immediately.
- Take emergency treatment (1 to 2 inhalations).
- Wait 10 to 15 minutes.
- If necessary resume treatment until 6 to 8 inhalations every 10 -15 minutes.
- If the crisis does not pass, it is a severe asthma attack: you must immediately contact your doctor or emergency by dialing 15.